General Volunteer Activities
There are many opportunities to volunteer in Old Town! While our need is the greatest for the Art Fair, please consider some additional volunteer roles:
Become a Committee member! Our committees are always in need of help and the best part is that you can choose your area of interest.
- Are you an architecture fan? Do you love Old Town because of the historic buildings? The Historic Preservation Committee could use your enthusiasm and expertise. Click here for more info.
- Our Education and Outreach Committee is working on programs to promote the architectural and historic character of our historic landmark district. Can you help us build a map or an app? Would you like to help write news updates and reference historic points of interest?
- Are you a nature lover? Do the Spring crab apples in Old Town make your heart sing? The Neighborhood Improvements Committee might be the right place for you.
- Maybe you’re an artist, either professional or an amateur hoping to increase your skills. The Education Subcommittee runs an outstanding art school, as well as yoga sessions (sign-up or drop-in).
- Do you love parties? The Events Committee is where you want to be. Help plan our next great event!
- Can you help us spread the word about the benefits of membership? The Membership Committee promotes the OTTA with events and communications with members.
To get your info to any of our committees, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be sure to get your information to the correct committee quickly!
The OTTA Newsletter “The Times” is welcomes volunteer writers. Some spots open for your consideration include:
- Neighbor Spotlight – Interview an Old Town Triangle neighbor/member and tell their personal story. Helpful questions are available to get you started.
- Grant Awards Spotlight – Proceeds from the Art Fair are awarded to various neighborhood groups. Interview the recipients and share their story with the neighborhood. Highlight how OTTA money is spent and how it impacts the grantees and your neighbors.
- From the Archives – The OTTA archives are a wealth of information about historically significant events, people and places and their contributions to Old Town. Help us share this information with the readers of “The Times.”
- Spring Clean Up! Every spring, we turn out to scrub, sweep and plant to make our beautiful neighborhood even more beautiful. Join us for fun, coffee, and doughnuts. We supply the equipment, you supply the effort. Meet up at the Triangle!
If you have a few hours a month, you can help! A small time commitment is all that is necessary for you to make an impact, become a more active member of the community and gain new friends. You’re welcome to join us.
Old Town Art Fair
Are your walls covered with Art Fair purchases? Do you want to be part of one of the Top 10 Art Fairs in the country? The Art Fair Subcommittee oversees the activities for the all-volunteer Old Town Art Fair. The Old Town Art Fair (OTAF) is one of the few, if not the only, Chicago festivals that is completely planned, staffed and managed by volunteers. Each year, a group of 30 neighbors gather to plan the Old Town Art Fair and we rely on the help of over 700 volunteers to staff the event.
We would love to welcome you to our volunteer team! We need help in the following areas:
- Booth Sitting: Volunteers assist our artists by looking after their booth while they take a short break to visit the food court or survey the fairgrounds. These volunteers generally work 2-3 hour shifts.
- Gate Captain: Volunteers oversee activity at our seven entrance gates. Gate captains are responsible for staffing a portion of their gate. Training is provided at a workshop in early June. Gate captains work from 9 am-6 pm.
- Gate Volunteer: Volunteers greet OTAF patrons, distribute programs, and collect donations. These volunteers generally work 2-3 hour shifts.
- Merchandise Volunteer: Volunteers staff our popular merchandise tables, selling OTAF apparel, souvenirs and posters. These volunteers generally work 2-3 hour shifts.
- Artists’ Aid: These volunteers circulate through the Art Fair with wagons delivering water and refreshments to grateful artists.
- Traffic Committee: Get up early on the Saturday of the OTAF, and help the artists achieve an efficient set up by maintaining an orderly traffic flow of artists in and out of the fairgrounds.
- And More…
We also host a volunteer thank you party on the Friday following the Art Fair. All volunteers are invited and it’s always a great time. Click here to see a video from the 2010 Thank You Party.
Here are a few photos from our 2017 Thank You Party.
For more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com. In your email, please indicate your preferred area of interest.